Sunday, August 15, 2010

Virginia, Kings Dominion, and DC

I know it has been forever since my last post but that is because I have been out of town for most of it. Last Friday (the sixth) I left for Virginia with my girlfriend Erin, and two other friends Richie and Holly. We were staying with Erin's family for the week. We took our time getting up there and after a fourteen hour trip with a stop for breakfast, lunch, and a stretch break in the afternoon we got there for dinner. It was a long trip but the visit was well worth it. The next day (Saturday) we spent just resting and visiting with Erin's family.

Sunday we went to Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington with Erin's family. We toured the plantation and had a tour of the house. The house was beautiful and it was so cool to learn so much about our first president and everything about him. there were history interpreters that were dressed in period clothing and were able to tell all about the things the workers there did. It was a fantastic experience and I would recommend that if you ever get the chance to go there take it! I even got to take a picture (even though I wasn't supposed to) of George Washington's Fake teeth!

On Monday The four of us went to Kings Dominion and rode rides ALL day long. we were so beat by the end of the day, and so hungry but we found a Chick-fil-a and it was great!

The next day was the day we went into DC! We started off the morning with the Museum of Natural History. It was so cool. I got to see the Famous Elephant in the Rotunda, I held a human femur. There were so many cool things in this building! Mummies, Dinosaurs, real human bones, an exhibit on native Americans, and many others! We continued the day by visiting the National Air and Space Museum. This was a lot of fun but I feel like we rushed through this building. TONS of things to see. A few of my favorites from this building were: The Spirit of St Louis, Amelia Earhart's plane, and the Exhibit with Pictures of several planets. The whole museum was great! I would love to go back and spend more time there. But we moved on to see the National World War two Memorial. It was the highlight of the sites of the day for me! We got an un-official tour from a park ranger that told us all about the significance of the monument and the little details that would otherwise be overlooked. So I thought it was great! Then we walked through the Korean Memorial and past the Lincoln Memorial. After our memorials we started walking for the Iwo Jima memorial. It was quite a hike but we made it. All the way across the Potomac River. The reason we went to the Iwo Jima Memorial is because there is a parade of the Marine Corp Drum and Bugal Corp and Silent Drill team! The band was great and the silent Drill team was pretty cool too!

The next day was pretty calm. We hung out and went to the pool and just relaxed again. We watched a movie and Some home videos of erin and her family. The next day the trip back took almost two hours less then the trip up and seemed so much more fun and less tedious. All in all the trip was GREAT! I will put up some pictures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment